Window Shades Online Portsmouth NH 00210
Decorating With Curtain Valances in Portsmouth NH
Window treatments are one of the most important accessories in room decor. With so many different styles, materials, shapes, colors, prints and patterns of window treatments, it can be quite confusing when attempting to decide which type is best for your home. One type of window treatment that’s quite popular are curtain valances.
Curtain valances are much like curtain panels except for length. These shorter versions of curtain panels are often utilized along with curtain panels but are also quite commonly used alone as well. Another style valance is one that comes attached to the top of the curtain panel in 00210.
Decorating with curtain valances is quite simple yet quite effective in enhancing a room’s decor. One of the aspects of these types of window treatments that tends to vary is the type of top they have. Tab tops are simply tabs of material attached along the upper portion of the valance. They slip onto a curtain rod and are about 4 inches in length. The valance itself is usually anywhere from 14 to 16 inches in length. Another style top is the grommet top. Grommets are metal rings shaped like donuts with holes in the middle. These grommets are inserted into the top of the valance and the Portsmouth NH curtain rod is weaved through them which gives a uniformed pleated look. A third style top is the rod pocket. Rod pockets are openings in the tops of curtain panels and valances that allow a rod to slip through and be concealed by the curtain, much like a sleeve. There are also tie tops which are just as they sound; two ties that tie around the curtain rod like a shoelaces.
Another huge variance is curtain valances is style. There are balloon valances, tailored valances, bamboo, and scarf style valances to name a few. Which type is best suited for your home will depend on the existing decor and the Portsmouth 00210 type of window. For more formal, traditional rooms, valances with embellishments such as beading, sequins and ruffles as well as in formal fabrics like silk are a good match. For more contemporary homes, choose sleek, simple curtains that don’t feature a lot of detail and fabrics like canvas, linen, sailcloth or cotton.
Curtain valances can be found in any large department store, home accessory store, bath and bedding store and even big box stores. For the best selection all in one place, start your search on the internet where many retailers often offer low or no shipping costs which makes it easier than ever to shop online.
Window Treatment – 5 Ideas For Arched Windows in Portsmouth NH
Arched windows are a bit of a challenge to decorate. Unlike regular windows, there is an extra element that you’ll have to consider when picking the appropriate window treatment. There are certain things you can do to maximize the beauty of an arched window and enjoy the view it provides. Here are some ideas you can try:
- Downplay the arch: Install a curtain rod across the top portion of the window and hang draperies. Pull back the fabric using decorative tiebacks that skim the lower line of the window’s arch. This offers a subtle definition of the arch without making it stand out too much in Portsmouth.
- Hang curtains and draperies: Use curtain rods made from dark metal and hang curtains and drapery panels. The vertical line this creates helps promote a sense of height and is especially helpful if you want to impress the eye with the size of the arched window. This makes your arched window a focal point of the room, with the window treatment providing a simple accent that does not steal the scene from the window itself.
- Swag the window: Swags reiterate the elegance of arched windows. Install one that barely skims the window’s upper trim. Allow drapery to hang from the swag and work well with the window’s natural curves and shape. If privacy is a concern, use sheer fabric for curtains to cover the lower glass panels.
- Use blinds: Blinds provide great coverage for arched windows and provide a good measure of control. You can adjust them to let in enough light or shut it out completely. Choose vertical or horizontal blinds, depending on the look you want for your arched windows. In terms of material, you can pick from aluminum, vinyl, wood, faux wood and fabric. There are lots of colors to choose from and you’re sure to find one that is a perfect fit for your Portsmouth New Hampshire home’s particular color scheme.
- Motorize your window treatment: If you have exceptionally large and white arched windows, a great window treatment to use are motorized blinds that come in different materials, including vinyl and fabric. Motorized blinds are usually custom-fitted and can provide a great view or much needed privacy at the touch of a button. They also make manipulating the window treatment a lot easier.
The Truth About Curtains vs Blinds in Portsmouth NH
While windows were developed to let in the light and enable us to take pleasure in the view outside, there are times when that view has to be hidden or as much as we like allowing the light, we do like our privacy, so those windows need to be covered. But with what?
For those who like plenty of light entering their spaces however still desire a level of privacy, sheer drapes would appear the most proper choice for a window covering. Sheer curtains come in such a range of patterns nowadays that you make sure to find one that would match the design of the room.
Sheer curtains not just let in the light however they are a low-cost window treatment to buy so if you have an embellishing budget to stick to, these might just be the ticket. To compensate for this, some folk buy sheer curtaining 3 to 4 times the width of the window and have it gathered together rather heavily so that it offers them the privacy they seek at night.
A window treatment that provides both a lot of light and privacy when required is vertical and horizontal slat blinds. These can be opened completely or partly throughout the day, allowing a lot of light and sunlight into the space. Then during the night all you need do is close them completely and you have total personal privacy.
The advantage with these kinds of blinds is you have full control of the quantity of light entering the room. If the space gets a great deal of glare in the early morning or afternoon you can just change the slats to block it out, while still leaving them open a little to permit some light into the space.